Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Dear Mr Obama

Well, we live in exciting times, don't we?

So much potential ...
So much hope ...
So much responsibility ...
So much that could go wrong ... or right ...

Those clever people at Avaaz have put together a message for Obama from the blogosphere.
This will be displayed at a special Obama Global Message Wall in Washington.
So far there are 22,587 names signed up.

This is the message being sent:

Dear President Obama:

As citizens across the world, we congratulate you on your election, and celebrate your campaign commitments to sign a strong new global treaty on climate change, close Guantanamo prison and end torture, withdraw carefully from Iraq, and double aid to fight poverty. No one country or leader can meet the world's most pressing challenges alone, but working together as one world in a spirit of dialogue and cooperation, yes we can bring real and lasting change.

Click here if you'd like to add your name to the wall.

8 comments:

Sharon J said...

I foud the whole thing really emotional last night. I'd been hoping Obama would win and actually cried when he did! If he delivers, he could have such a huge impact on the world.

Am off to sign.

Debi said...

I went to bed very early last night (long story) so only just found out the result.

The photos here had me weeping into my coffee ... It's the 'hope' part that gets to me every time ...

Unknown said...

Hope is obviously what galvanised such an overwhelming victory.
Seems we are all fairly hopeful that Obama is more than just a nice set of teeth!

Unknown said...

Yep, signed it and passed it on a while ago.

And I'm with you on the "hope" part, gets me going everytime too. Funny, I woke up at about 02h45 and thought, "he's won", rolled over and went back to sleep and woke up again in time to hear the now-famous speech.

Rich said...

Yes, its good news. The world breaths a sigh of relief. Did you see Harriet Harman on PM questions? She was like an excited little girl, it made me laugh.

I just hope the realities of the recession etc don't make B O a media whipping boy too soon. It's going to take two terms to put right Bush's handiwork. Lets hope he stays alive long enough to fight that second term. Theres a lot of guns in the USA. I was wondering, how many Persidents have been assinated compared to Prime Ministers The only PM I can find is Spencer Percival in 1812

Anonymous said...

Yes Rich, I fell about at Harriet Harman as well. I'm not usually a fan but she was lovely. The effort she had to put in to rearranging her face into seriousness when the discussion turned solemn was a treat.
Other highligjhts for me were.. Christopher Hitchens smiled and his face didn't crack, Jesse Jackson's tears, a black hairdresser in downtown Chicago who was wide eyed as a child at Christmas and full of the awesome responsibility of being black and having to behave well and properly so as not to let Obama down. He made me cry.
Downers were Michelle's frock - why was she wearing a red pinny? And pity about the initials, but you can't have everything
A great night, a great day. I don't know what will actually change in the lives of Americans, but the atmosphere has changed and atmosphere is all.
Joan xx

Debi said...

Yes. Hope. What a word. What a concept.

And, Rich - you've spoken the words many people fear about how much of a target Obama will be now for a hate-filled nutter with a gun.

Joan - LOL re his initials!

I didn't see Harriet Harman but I did see Dizzee Rascal being interviewed by a superior and smug Jeremy Paxman. DR made some amazing points about change coming from ALL the people, not just one man. He may have spoken in the voice of the streets rather than the usual politico pundits' words, but, boy, did he make sense!

Saaleha said...

been there. Done it. Thanks for the heads up.